Orthodontics in general is a science behind the smile. The unique specialty of this branch of dentistry is that it is an art and science that aims at improving the esthetics as well as the function of the teeth, jaws and the face, without compromising or violating nature.
About the department :-
Department Of Orthodontics And Dentofacial Orthopedics GDCH Nagpur, came into existence in 1968, and has been catering to the needs of the central India population since then.
The postgraduate course was started in 1985 under the guidance of Dr. Mrs. P. V. Hazarey.
The department, headed by the dynamic Dr. (Mrs.) Wasundhara A. Bhad, a product of the same institution, boasts of an up to date inventory, which includes the latest materials, sterilization protocols, well maintained - fully equipped dental units and state of the art equipments.
Under the able guidance of the Head of the department, most of the contemporary Orthodontic procedures including the Begg's Mechanics, Preadjusted Edgewise Appliances, Tip Edge, and Delta Force are routinely practiced. Newer orthodontic techniques using micro implants, magnets and orthognathic surgeries, have been implemented with success.
Catch the growth and allow it to express to its fullest potential', a philosophy to modify growth - is implemented in routine practice with successful results by way of myofunctional and orthopedic appliances.
Keeping in mind the ever increasing demand of adult patients seeking orthodontic treatment, the department imparts quality treatment to such adult patients with due considerations to some of the limitations..
As is the use of esthetic appliances in the form of ceramic brackets, plastic brackets as per the patient demand.
In rapport with other dental specialties such as Endodontics, Prosthodontics and Periodontics; maximum benefit is imparted to the patient, underlying the role of Interdisciplinary orthodontics.
As an excellent clinician, academician and an educationist, the Head of the Department believes in a disciplined and devoted approach in imparting knowledge to the under graduate, post graduate students and the interns.
The department is second to non as far as contemporary research in the field of orthodontics is concerned. Use of latest technology in the form of Finite Element Studies, SEM Studies, Reverse engineering in collaboration with renowned technological institutes and use of newer diagnostic aids in the form of MRI, CT Scan, Electromyography, has ushered in studying unexplored areas in the form of various dissertations undertaken by PG students of the institute. The increase patient's count adds more to the clinical research than experimental as in vitro may not always apply to in vivo in Toto. The research work has been internationally acclaimed & acknowledged.
Quality service to all strata of patients with contemporary orthodontic techniques is the underlying principle of the department, which can be seen, by the overflowing number of patients undergoing and seeking treatment as work satisfaction is the goal by creation of beautiful smiles as WORK IS WORSHIP.
Speciality Work Done In the Department Of Orthodontics
- Esthetic ceramic bracket mechanics
- Implants in orthodontics
- Molar distalization by Distal Jet
- Fixed and Removable Functional appliance therapy.
- Use of rare earth magnets for correction of open bite
- Maxillo-mandibular growth prediction and growth modification
- Facial soft tissue & hard tissue improvement
- Correction of Craniofacial skeletal malformation.
- Extra oral orthopedics
- Management of Cleft lip & palate
- Surgical orthopedics.
- Adult Orthodontics
- Lingual Orthodontics
- Transforce appliance
- NiTi palatal expander
Number of post graduate students- 03
- Dr. Sumanti Chandrikapure
- Dr. Rohit Minase
- Dr. Chandrakant Shete
Thesis submitted in M.U.H.S in last 5 years -
- Comparision of the efficacy of ARCH development appliances - Transforce Vs NITI expander - Dr. Arun Nagrik (2009)
- A quantative determination of adhesion of streptococcus mutans to removable and fixed orthodontic appliances and evaluation of efficacy of antimicrobials - Dr. Bhavesh Kothari (2009)
- Assessment of skeletal maturity using serum- IGF-I and SALIVARY - IGF-I - Dr. Subash Nayak (2010)
- Effect of low intensity laser therapy on Orthodontic Tooth Movement - Dr. Gauri Doshi (2010)
- Assessment of skeletal maturity indicators and mandibular growth in MONOZYGOMATIC AND DIAZYGOMATIC TWINS - Dr. Harshal Chandorikar (2011)
New equipments in department -
- Hydrogen solder unit - 1
- Biostar pressure moulding machine - 1
- Vaccum press - 1
- RVG - 1
- Hanau articulator with face bow - 1
- Polimerization pot - 1
- Nemoceph Cephalometric software - 1
- Intraoral camera - 1
- Digital SLR camera - 1
- DLP - 1
Scientific papers published -
- Wasundhara A. Bhad, Pushpa V. Hazarey. Scanning electron microscopic study and shear bond strength measurement with 5% and 37% phosphoric acid. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. Oct 1995;108(4):410-414.
- Doshi UH, Bhad-Patil WA. Early management of skeletal open bite with spring-loaded and magnetic bite blocks. World J Orthod. 2010 Summer;11(2):107-16.
- Rohida NS, Bhad W. A clinical, MRI, and EMG analysis comparing the efficacy of twin blocks and flat occlusal splints in the management of disc displacements with reduction. World J Orthod. 2010 Fall;11(3):236-44.
- Umal H. Doshi, Wasundhara A. Bhad-Patil. Static frictional force and surface roughness of various bracket and wire combinations. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. Jan 2011;139(1):74-79.
- Neeraj S. Rohida, Wasundhara A. Bhad. Accidental ingestion of a fractured Twin-block appliance. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. Jan 2011;139(1):123-125.
- Doshi UH, Jamwal RS, Bhad WA. Distalization of molars using two stage mini-implants -- a case report. J Orthod. 2011 Mar;38(1):55-63.
- Doshi UH, Bhad WA. A simple method for Twin Block activation. J Clin Orthod. 2011 Jun;45(6):328-31.
- Umal H. Doshi, Wasundhara A. Bhad. Spring-loaded bite-blocks for early correction of skeletal open bite associated with thumb sucking. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. July 2011;140(1):115-120.
- Doshi UH, Bhad-Patil WA. Speech defects and orthodontics: A contemporary review. Accepted in World Journal of Orthodontics.
- Wasundhara A. Bhad, Subash Nayak, Umal H. Doshi. A new approach of assessing sagittal dysplasia: The W angle. The European Journal of Orthodontics Advance Access published February 8, 2011.
- Bhavesh Kothari, W. A. Bhad. Antimicrobial efficacy of Chlorhexidine and Triclosan on the Orthodontic appliance components: An in –vivo comparative microbial culture study. Annals of Dental Research (2011) Vol 1 (1).
- Gauri Doshi, Bhad WA. Efficacy of low intensity laser therapy in reducing treatment time and orthodontic pain: A clinical investigation. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. March 2012;141(3):289-97.
Future planning (next 5 years)—
- TARG(Torque Angulations Reference Guide) MACHINE for Lingual technique.